Saturday, March 7, 2009

Time for a Top Ten

I vow never to write a post on education reform again.

Until I get back on Saturday.

I am down in Norte de Carolina for a trip and I thought I would give y'all my top ten list of the friendly southern state...

TOP 10 thing I Heart about NC.

1. Sheer number of Chick Fil-A stopping points. I had no idea how ingenious this place was until my most recent trip. I grabbed it almost daily in one form or another. I have no idea what they have in that chicken but it is aMAZing. Truly. Plus they are closed on Sunday! Bonus points for them.

2. No one on the road when outside the cities (downside, speeding tickets ouch)

3. My people. I get to spend some time with my extended family who I love a ton. Specifically Jenny who is like a sister to me. She is the one who makes my life super duper easy when I come out here.

4. New música. Jen hooks me up with the latest but we have also been known to go out to live music. Meg has of course slowed this down a bit but we still exchange music so I can keep my itunes lib in tip-top shape. I hope she considers my contributions worthy but she really is the maestra on this stuff.

5. Accents. I am a total sucker for a southern accent and NC really does have a nice one. Caya-line-a. The smaller the town, the bigger the accents--and the poorer the town the cooler the slang. So since I have a school in one of the poorest counties I get to hear all kindsa good stuff.

6. Shopping. Mucho Targets etc. In fact I save my shopping needs for these trips because I have multiple choices or places I can go to get my goods.

7. No guns allowed in restaurants. Some even have a sign at the front door as a reminder that you should not pack heat when you are dining in a fine establishment.

8. Piggly Wiggly. I love that any town can support a grocery store with this name. What kind of products are available at the Piggly Wiggly? Just regulah ole stuhf like grits.
9. Restaurants. I have traveled in a couple of states and spent time eating local cuisine so feel like I can truly say that NC serves up a better plate than most of the country (at least four other states). NC offers traditional southern cuisine but in addition they have some Carolina BBQ (which we would call pulled pork) and a couple of freshwater fish dishes that are pretty incredible like almond crusted trout. Also peanut butter pa (pie for us westerners) is absolutely delectable. DEEE lish.

10. Country Music. I have heard such tear-jerkers as Cheater Cheater and been amazed that people not only make this kind of music but listen to it as well. Also ran: Christian Evangelical but sometimes the lines bleed and I am not sure if I am on Christian pop or Country stations (Jesus Take the Wheel?)

8 comments:

  1. Is there more than one Jenny? I'm confused. Lets call me Size 2 Jenny to keep things straight. My SIL used to live in NC, but we never got a chance to visit cuz we were really poor at the time. She loved it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! We just drove through NC! We're in Key West--(no not partying like everyone else 'cause we and the other couple we're with are married, poor, and don't drink anyways) But if I did a top ten list for the drive down the southern states number one would be blossoms!! This is probably already happening in CA, but coming from VA I was SO thrilled to see Spring! Oh and number 2--getting to Florida where going 80 mph is the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking the food in the restaurants can't be good if they are afraid to allow customers to bring guns in with them. Do they also hide the knives and only set out forks and spoons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many Jenny's in the world.

    I thought the food was only good in Cali? I heart your music findings too cuz you share them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never leave Chick Fil-A without ordering one of their brownies. Just my little way of saying, "Hey guys. Thanks for staying closed on Sundays (wink)."

    Also - Have you tried their polynesian dipping sauce? If not, DO. Because, Thank you Polynesia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Georgia once. I am pretty sure it is exactly the same. My sister just told me not to look at other people in cars. I was so scared. She kept saying, "This isn't Idaho, you know."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to go to NC. I'm glad you had a good visit. Gotta love Chick Fil-A. I once tried to talk Darin into opening one in Orem. He said that I had to work there so the deal was off.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios