This happens every year. June is a busy month of travel, or wrapping up the school year, or any number of events and I miss the birthday of a special friend. I am almost always late on wishing her well but I am hoping that she knows how much I love her anyway, it is just the poor timing of her birthday that prevents me from being able to wish her well in more than just word.
What can I say about her?
Ten Things I HEART about Memzy on her 30somethingth year:
1. She is always upfront. You can ask her any question and if she tries to lie, I am guessing you could see right through it. She just says "uh, well, you know..." in a very sweet voice and you know she bound to tell the truth.
2. She is very organized. I have never stopped by her house and seen it anything but in tip top organizational shape.
3. She has three amazing kids. I LOVE hanging out at her house and I don't even mind if I don't have my children with me because her kids are so cool that you could just hang with them and chit chat. Specially Brains. The routines she has in place have made them particularly easy to deal with in the kid department (where I am personally suffering these days.) Wait can I throw in here that I love her parents too? If I were a jealous person it would be of her family (and of course now I have to add that includes her husband's cousinage.)
4. She has a great sense of humor. Anyone who has read her blog or her her famous podcasts on the ilandee show knows that she can throw down.
5. She keeps it real. I get stressed about my kids or some other life experience and she is always there with me. I feel like I can be totally honest with her about my frustrations in life and she will say something to make me feel better every time.
6. Something about her home makes me feel like relaxing. It might be her big soft couch or her large screen tv, or the clean environment, or her top-notch hostess skillz but I walk into the door of her place and I feel like I am going to leave a more relaxed person.
7. She always makes fun of my eating habits. Normally you would not list this as a characteristic you like about someone BUT in this case I feel like it reaffirms my dedication to whole grain. If she didn't make fun of me I would have no reason to keep up those habits.
8. Music. No lie, my last four favorite CDs were from her. She has such exact taste--that matches mine--so that anything from her is guaranteed to be a hit. I am waiting for the technology that allows me to know what she is listening to at any given time in my day.
9. Consistency. I can't remember a time (since 1993 when we met!) in which she didn't have a refreshing beverage in front of her. Additionally, I feel like she is the single most consistent person I know in all areas--it probably explains her ability to be organized, a super mom and keep up the bejillion activities she is doing without being crazy.
10. Her laugh. There is nothing more contagious or welcoming to me than the sound of Emily laughing. When I recreate her laugh it brings a smile to my face.
I hope this year that you are treated well (as you always are) by your wonderful husband and amazing children. And, of course, by the Visors. Thanks for sticking with me and being the kind of friend worthy of my one worthwhile post in the last several months.
lollerz!!!
ReplyDeleteand then.....
::tears::
You got me Flem, you got me. In all honesty I personally think I sound like a very boring bubble-live-er. But #7 is having me in stitches. Let me reiterate that you were the one who brought me my love of hummus and were the first one to call when I fell in love. I tease because I'm such a horrible nutritioner/feeder of my kids. It makes me feel better about myself when I tease you. ::passing out fruit snacks for breakfast::
I love you Flemmy!
refreshing bevy!!
ReplyDeleteHappy B-day, Memzy.
ReplyDeleteNow, I want to learn more about #3 and the routines you have in place so that I can have enviable children. And yes, my kids eat fruit snacks AND popsicles for breakfast.
Happy Belated Birthday Memzy!!
ReplyDeleteFlem has such exquisite taste in friends. I know, cause she's friends with me.
Lee Dog, What a beautiful post in honor of Memzy. All you said about her is true. We are very blessed to have her as a daughter. Here's a fun fact. . . .all of our children made increcible friends their freshman year of college. These friends have remained constant, positive influences and remained close. We are all better because Memzy has a great friend named Lee Dog. And stop being so hard on yourself. You are an amazing mother, wife, super-smart career person. You have made a HUGE positive impact on millions. There, now I'm done. Love you, Aunt Visor
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!
ReplyDeleteI will add, one of my favorite things about Memzy is that if you force her to stay up really late, she will be talking one minute, and then suddenly her eyes will close and she'll doze off for a few seconds, and then she'll wake up and say a few things, and then her eyes close again... repeat. She's so sleepy.
Wait... I thought her b-day was on the 20th. Did I slip into a coma again? Now you're putting us all to shame, Flem, by being the FIRST one to do an honorary b-day post. I'm so on to you....
ReplyDeleteHAPPY UPCOMING BIRTHDAY MEMZY!
I agree with all ten points. With all my heart, I agree. #1--she's a terrible liar. The worst, really. #7=my favorite one. Lollerz!