Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Two Worlds

I went grocery shopping yesterday and here is what I purchased:


Half of it was chemically-based snacks and treats (granola bars for the kids school snacks, non-enviro hair care products, fishy crackers for the Megs), etc. The other half are the ingredients I really wish we exclusively ate instead of the corn byproducts: Butternut squash, beets, celery, avocado, grapes, apples, etc. In the middle were the legumes: lentils, northern beans, etc.

Note two key ingredients, and the reason for this post: White flour and cool whip. Why? Dessert contest!!!

We hosted round one last night and it was full of one ingredient: Chocolate. There was not a single dessert that did not feature chocolate as the main ingredient and really, truly, this was the reason for hosting this little delightful event.

I meant to take a picture of the entries and something happened to distract me so in the end you will have to settle for an updated bracket. I am also going to request a recipe from each of our competitors so that by the end we can have a little book all put together.















Results are that the DiMartinis were MIA so Steve and K. Dorny move up automatically. The fact that they had a baby this month seems like a legit reason so we hope that they can join us for sampling and judging in the future.

Also moving up: Jacqui M. with her chocolate cheesecake and A. Dorny with a multilayered chocolate cake (including peanut butter chips and peanut butter mouse and brownie pieces on top, no lie). I promise to take several pictures next time.

Speaking of next time, we have changed the date/time to FRIDAY OCTOBER 2ND at 7 pm. The match-ups will be:

Katie v. J. Frostad
Billy v. Bridget
Lee v. B. Tuutau
Cherry v. Chantel

Happy Baking!


6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, chocolate.

    I don't even recognize most of those ingredients on the back end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When first I glanced the title of this post and picture, I thought you were referring to the world in which you promised me dark chocolate brownie mix, and the world in which you did not deliver.

    Sounds like I should have headed over last night and taken matters into my own hands. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get a rabbit or something? Why else would someone buy all that crap behind the Cool Whip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't want to live in a world without cool whip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm afraid to disagree with your friends because they might send pirates after me. But I thought your groceries were yum. Do you ever make potaje with your squash? You MUST put watercress in it if you do.

    The only thing I wasn't sure about was beets. What do you do with beets?

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios