Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tithing Excuses

In our church it is standard to pay tithing. To be exact, our doctrine includes a token return to the Lord for all of our blessings by giving 10% of our annual increase to the church.

My children do not tithe. Perhaps because we don't fill out the little form and hand it in due to the fact that I have paid it online through my bank for the last three years has contributed to their poor education in this area or maybe it is because we always skip out on tithing settlement (meeting with our Bishop at the end of each year) wintering down in Utah.

Regardless, we have decided to take a more helpful approach in teaching our children why we consider paying tithing to be of benefit to them financially as well as spiritually. In assessing why they do not pay their tithing this is the verdict:

Casey really wants to pay, but got behind and is now discouraged.

Bridget intended to pay but lost track and spent the money first.

Gillian has no interest in paying tithing at this time.

I believe my three children embody the three different types of problems encountered among people who do not give to charity. I assume Meghan is the fourth: self-righteous due to the fact that she has never had income but would give if she could.

3 comments:

  1. You missed a category: people who pay their tithing, but do it with a little resentment and sadness at parting with their dough; so they are out the money and don't get the blessings. I'm not saying that I'm in that category... no, I'm not saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? How do you pay it online? I can't tell you how many times we have gone home between sac mtg and sunday school to get a check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can pay online? There goes my "forgot my check book" excuse.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios