Flight out tonight from Grand Rapids home, excited to see family. Wrapping up the conference and week of rushing around doing bejillion things. Just as I was clicking "play" on the closing show slideshow, all emotional from an exhausting week of training and peopling, I see I have a phone message from my orbitz update.
Update? Flight cancelled.
Push button, watch slide show, cry. Perhaps participants feel that I am emotional because they are so awesome so tears not wasted.
Call husband in tears who reassures me that all is well and tells me it will be fine. Other calls throughout day are received equally. He is incredible.
40 minutes on hold with United, never make it through. Much consternation and tears.
Co-worker offers to drive me to Detroit, Lansing, Indy, or any other flight that can go around Chicago and some Tornado watch.
Realize flight reroute through Detroit will get me into LAX tonight at 11 pm. Another awesome co-worker offers for me to stay in their home and it dawns on me I have a baby shower I am putting on tomorrow at 7 pm in LA.
Much stress.
Finally decide upon leaving for LAX in the morning since I can't get out of here tonight until late anyway.
Call trusty frequent flyer airline US Airways (don't hate) books me on flight out of Indianapolis first thing in the morning into LAX.
Bestest Freighbor Katie who is getting a ladies night out on me comes to rescue by offering to put decorations in car for me (Steve and kids meeting me down at shower at 4ish) and bake cupcakes (red velvet) for shower. Also has prepared my game prizes.
(PS Freighbor, I outsourced the games to one of the generous offerers of help.)
Homewood Suites in Indy is awesome. I am going to bed.
Oh crap. Now I feel bad about trying to get some sympathy from you over my EricDSnider "issues."
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better after a good night's rest and have fun at the shower.
::giving Katie a high-five for filling in and wishing I could help out in some way too::
Dang Lee, that's no fun. I've been on the Steve end of the stick more than once and sounds like he's much better at handling disappointment than I am. You guys are great with handling stress, way to think of all of the options.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the shower tomorrow, the red velvet cupcakes sound delish.
Yowsa, that is a positively craptastic adventure, except for the Katie Freighbor totally rocks part. I'm hoping for less lameness in your future...
ReplyDeleteYou have a crazy life, Flem. How you do it all with such grace and finesse is beyond me. You're fabulous! Oh, and good thing you have an equally fabulous family that loves and supports.
ReplyDeleteOH, and fabulous freighbors too.
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing. I don't know how you keep it all together. Glad you're home.
ReplyDeleteurgh!
ReplyDelete