Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Now THAT is a Party

So for those who don't get my whole family situation, I lived with a family when I was a senior in high school. While I don't refer to the parents of that family as my mom and dad, they certainly fill a parental role in my life. They always took care of my mom, too, who was actually older than them, so their support and love for me goes beyond the normal "framily" kind of stuff.

The kids of this family, however, I do refer to as my brothers and sisters--there are six of them and each one is SO unique and incredibly talented. And quirky too! So even though I was raised as an only child, I have brothers and sisters in my life too. I wish they all had blogs (though a big shout out to Abby who actually comes around to comment periodically) so you could see evidence of their incredible talents. I have shown some stuff by Melissa here before but I don't have time to check my index to see where it would be...

Jenny is my oldest sister of this crew and she definitely has more talent in her lil pinky than I do in my whole bod. One of the thing she is famous for is throwing incredible birthday parties. I know that this sampling will not do her justice, but she really does up a show. Here are the pictures from her youngest daughter's fifth birthday. In no particular order, obviously. Cake homemade btw. She is a star baker.

Now I am getting ready for the kids bday party and they happen to want some kind of music/dance/rock star theme. How can I accomplish this without seeming too girly (Casey doesn't want it to seem like High School Musical) or too teenagy? Ideas?

















10 comments:

  1. How about introducing those Flemings to the Beach Boys? You already have a beach close by! Do the limbo, and dance in a conga line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling! Your niece must really love you, to select a theme that's an homage to YOUR birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have something that hooks to the tv and plays music so the kids can see themselves karoke, if that is not too cheesy for rock stars. You can pick any music to play with it. What great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute party! I also like that picture hanging over the fireplace. I examined it for quite awhile, figuring out how to copy it. I'll think about it and let you know if I have any rock theme parties idears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing. I am the opposite of that. Joseph has his birthday party this weekend and the kids are gonna swim and I'll get a pinata. Done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeeah. I'm not a huge party planner. But I've promised char a star wars party this month. Do you think jenny will fly out and plan it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family Fun magazine just had a thing on rock star birthday party. It was kinda girly, but I'm sure there are some ideas you can adapt.
    That is a serious cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. jenny never made me cakes like that when she did my birthday cake!! okay she only made me one once that I can remember, but even though it was good it wasn't a four layer dream cake. she owes me!! we're in Salt Lake now, so if you're in the neighborhood let me know!
    you're kids party will rock---you'll have the whole dance revolution thing right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, I want some of that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, I think you're a tad hard on yourself. I've been to a few Fleming shin-digs and found nothing lacking. Good food, good friends, good conversations and plenty of laughs... what more can you ask for? OK, those rose cupcakes are pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios