Sunday, September 20, 2009

Up and Running

In case I missed posting an update, Megs is running around.

Here is a pic of her getting ready to excape.


























I must admit that I have made more than a few jokes about four kids pushing me over the edge this year so I have to apologize to Meg who has really been the innocent victim in this little scenario.

I have a few friends and acquaintances who have one child and I think periodically about what it was like when we had our first vs. what it is like for this poor baby who has suffered the unintended consequences of large families. Considering the fact that we were never very nervous people to begin with it may be scary for you to contemplate how much this cute little girl misses out on that her older brother did enjoy for a short time period.

For example:
  • Crying children get a 3-4 minute grace period before someone actually makes a move to investigate (we do make exceptions for sharp cries of pain still though)
  • Sippy cup? Wait are we supposed to teach her how to use a cup? Yeah she is still using a bottle and I haven't even thought about that one.
  • Ages & Stages. I have no idea what she is supposed to be doing right now. I don't know her percentile for body weight, head size, length or really even if she is supposed to be in that forward facing carseat. The label said 22 lbs and I think she weights over that amount. I think.
  • Dressing up to go in public. Thank goodness for freighbor and some of her cute bows because that is about all she gets.
  • Meals. I wish I were lying when I tell you that she has eaten corn chips for a few meals. She has also eaten Fig Newtons and canned refried beans which, btw, she really loves.
  • Bibs. I have some nice ones but a lot of times it just gets left off the list when frantically searching for food. Sorry.
  • Baths. This is such a fun endeavor but after we get through no.s 1-3 we just don't have the time that frequently anymore. She looks clean mostly.
  • Choking hazards. I will admit that more than one person has said to me "oh she has a marble in her mouth." I saw the marble. I just figure that if I am sitting right in front of her I will be around to help out.
I still get nervous something is going to happen to her. I still hover my hand over her tummy to make sure she is breathing if she is taking a particularly long nap. I still wonder if I am totally screwing her up. But managing a household of kids just is something that most people can't relate to until they have done it. I worry that I have a reputation as a mom who doesn't care about her kids, and after reading this list I can see why. In the end, it still melts my heart to see her laugh, walk, play with her siblings, and give her own special kind of hugs (known to some as forehead bumping). Most of all, I love to watch her concentrate and stick her tongue out while she is trying to do something. Like this:

14 comments:

  1. SUCH a cute expression!!

    The beauty of the 4th child (and I am one myself) is that any parental neglect is compensated by the attention of 3 adoring older siblings. Every time I see Casey, Bridgette and Gillian they are like little boastful first-time parents ("Have you seen her walk??" "Watch this trick!!" "Do you know how many teeth she has??" etc. etc.) Don't feel sorry for Meghan. She actually might be the luckiest one of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are killing me softly with those curls.

    She is not old enough to walk. It's UNpossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did any of your other kids have curls like that? Am I remembering wrong or is she def. the curliest?
    one perk to being one of the youngest: more time with parents when everyone else has moved out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Katie. I have four brothers and two sisters, all pretty close in age, we grew up on top of each other but now they are my bestest friends. My husband grew up with a half sister 10 years younger than him. He doesn't really get to enjoy the gift of siblings like I do.

    This won't affect you for many years, but my mother-in-law likes to remind me that she would love more grandchildren. I just remind her she should have thought of that earlier and had more children. You won't have that same problem.

    That face of hers. That is not the face of an unhappy neglected child. That is the face of a beautiful angel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it true that most of the things on your checklist were true with our first child? Heaven help any others that may come our way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Katie. Think of all the wonderful things she's gaining from being in a large family. You've probably heard my schpiel on this (more than once?!) but I think Meg is a very little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the careful parenting went on the window on kid #2 in our house.

    Megs is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sorry parents, but I gained as much life experience/knowledge/care from my older siblings as I did my mom and dad. oh, and with that cute face, she does not need any "dressing up" to go in public.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet post. You obviously adore little Megs. It shines through in everything you have ever said about her. She's feeling the love, I'm sure. You are a very good mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her cuteness explodes off my computer screen. Come to Bako--I need me some Megs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always worry that my youngest isn't getting the kind of attention that I gave my oldest, but at least he is benefiting from my evolution as a parent. I'm much smarter now.

    PS. Tip about baths... my youngest was taking showers by the time he was one, cuz kids can't drowned in the shower. Way easier to throw him in there, where I didn't have to hover over him, while I was doing my hair or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee, I love this post. And I love Katie's comment. Thank goodness, because your list isn't too far off what it's like for our 3rd kid!

    And now that we're having our first girl, I'm sort of freaking out that our poor hygiene and lower level of tidiness will have an ill effect on her future as a young adult/mother! Guess I have to step it up just a little. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even from across the vast Atlantic I can tell how much you love your children and care for them.

    My youngest sister is relaxed like you, and I love her approach to her littlest one right now - while I run around after the baby bc I am particularly afraid of people (and now my kittens!) choking (I believe it's now actually at phobia-stage ... ), she just glances over and tells me what you wrote: she sees the marble (or whatever), and is around to help, if needed.

    Lighten up and treat each child as an individual and not like a product which runs only if strict instructions are followed, is pretty much her attitude:)

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios