Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Local Scene

The community garden is blooming with beautiful flores. I couldn't possibly capture all of them so I decided to just capture one up close and hope it conveys what I was feeling. Gillian had to touch every flower in the garden so it took us about 30 minutes to get through it. I put in my loseit app that I had walked for 30 minutes and got some extra calories for that but really it was only like 1 minute of walking during 30 minutes. Is that cheating? I didn't eat the extras btw.




























A new friend of mine lives up the canyon south of here at this private boarding school (her husband teaches there and they have a sweeeet gig with a nice home overlooking the canyon and ocean.) The campus was very pretty and here is a sign at the entryway. We had a great time playing except for some reason Gillian likes to ask people for food at their houses which embarrasses me. She will suddenly say "I am hungry" the second we walk into someones house. I guess we don't have cool enough snacks. I had a conversation with her about it when we got home but she started crying and said "but what if I am hungry?" so I had to layoff. If we come over and she asks for food, just know it is out of my hands.





















The local library getting a copy of the Q&K of Attolia. My kids think the library is for movies. Sorry that I have not done more to mitigate that but really, we don't lose the movies like we do the books so I kinda prefer it. They read (in order to gain time to play on the computer, lame) but they read books that they get from other places, who knows where. I will say "where did we get this book" and Steve will say "I don't know, there are like 15 books that just showed up one day." If you are missing juvenile lit, please see me.

Anyway the bougainvillea is gorge here right now and I had this adorable little girl hanging around so I snapped her too.




























I have to admit, living in a two-bedroom, 4-kid-per-room scenario is noooo bueno sometimes but the environment is just stunning. I know we will never find a place as physically beautiful as where we live, and I appreciate that the good weather makes our time here so enjoyable. I guess the prices here will make us later palate a new environment even if it might not offer us daily views of the ocean and year-round floral eye candy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, where did you say your new friend lives? Hogwarts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not cheating if you didn't eat the calories. Pretty pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're enjoying loverly weather here, with lots of browns and ash colors. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the environment is great and the weather lets you get out and enjoy it--your apartment in, say, Alaska would be a whole 'nother level!

    Haley does the same thing with food and I say, "Don't ask for a second piece of birthday cake" or "Don't mooch from your friends," but then that doesn't jibe with me always telling her, "Ask for what you want"-which I think is an important lesson for girls. So I guess those little chicas wil just have to grow up and get some social finesse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever a friend of Stellan's (at church or the playground or wherever) refuses the food his/her parents have offered and only take the food I have provided, I like to say, "What, don't you feed him/her?"
    Also, you and/or Steve should try to get a gig at Cate. It's a sweet sweet deal. My friend teaches Chinese and photography there, and he adores it. Plus, he gets an all-expenses-paid trip to China every summer. Cate-style trip to China. And you know that's no joke.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios