Here are the signs:
- Five minutes into a conversation if I haven't heard the phone ring, the instant messaging window popup, or a kid ask a question, I can't come up with anything new to say
- I can't talk for more than 2 minutes in a row (see last point)
- I can't recall important details, like names and my own phone number
- When people ask me questions, I have to pause for a second and process before I answer (something that used to highly annoy me about my husband so I beg his forgiveness for my previous impatience)
- I twitter in my dreams (seriously, I am subconsciously updating my status in my brain and that freaks me out)
- When I don't have my phone or computer out my hand starts twitching
- I get irritated when I use a computer that doesn't have exposé or their corners set up. Who has time for alt+tabbing?
- When my kids ask me for a glass of milk I feel like they asked me for a major effort.
I think I need a break from making decisions. I think that would ultimately help me to refocus. Church doesn't even help these days since I am there with a crying baby who has to be taken to the hallway.
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your sanity?
I really don't think you need to worry. This is pretty much how you are. The queen of multitasking. I distinctly remember many a time that you and me and Landee wouldvbe chatting it up in the dorms and you'd pick up the phone, mid sentence, to check the BYU phone system or call somebody.
ReplyDeleteSo how old is Meg? I think you're still in the post-baby rebalance phase. You'll hit your stride soon.
ReplyDeleteBut I agree--too many kids has given me some of the attributes of my absent-minded-professor husband.
I can't help, am somewhat like you, though without the responsibility of children.
ReplyDeleteI have recently started doing too many things at once that is scares me. I thought I was multitasking, but it's gone too far. Example: while on my way to kitchen I'll pick up full glass of water, magazine and dirty socks, all to be taken to places in my path, and while stopping to Tweet on the laptop I walk past on above route I end up pouring water all over floor and dropping other items as I only have two hands. Eventually, it costs me more trouble and annoyance to multitask than to do one thing at a time.
Everything has to be accessible and fast, and if I have an idea I need to execute it now. No later. That's just how life is now, right, in the times of science:)
Anyway, help me find you on Twitter, girl! Me, I'm stpie ... follow me, I'll follow you, into your dreams:)
Your problem is you are a twitch speed immigrant. (Or something like that...) I read a book called "Mom don't bother me, I'm learning," or something that is about how the generation raised on high speed technology gets their brain wired to multitask, and us old folk can learn the technology but can't ever quite get fast enough because our brains are wired the old fashioned way. (btw, don't bother reading the book. I could summarize it for you in a few paragraphs if you're interested, although I obviously can't remember the jargon.)
ReplyDeleteI am a little worried because you are disappointed that you can't juggle all those things that I don't even know what some of those things are. So my problems are bigger than yours.
as long as you occasionally have conversations with actual people and leave the house it will all work out in the end.
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way.
ReplyDeleteI find that running is the perfect antidote. It doesn't have to be running. It could be walking or going to the gym.
Bottom line: I am away from the digital world and other people for about seven hours a week. It is divine. And I'm not used that work figuratively or loosely. It helps me get away from the noise that distracts from what is important and what is my purpose.
I sound like a self-help book. I don't mean to.
Also running means that I can eat cupcakes.
Win-win-win.