Sunday, April 19, 2009

Randomness

I haven't had a lot of big news or post-worthy items but here is a list of recent happenings:

1) The meds for the acid reflux (prevacid) gives me headaches. It could be that I just have a lot of headaches lately but the variable seems to be the medicina. I have had recommends to call the ENT and demand a new drug, one that won't make me crash my car, or come in a pill. That would require a) Time to make the phone call b) Time to go to the pharmacy and c) Another 12 bucks. So I think I will deal with it a few more weeks. I think it makes me tired too, but wait, that might just be my life.

2) Podcast with Tiff Friday. Yay!! It was way fun and I really do wish that Tiff and I recorded every time we get together and talk because seriously, it is some funny stuff. Even if we are the only ones (and Markie!) who think so.

3) My husband knows a ton of stuff about Church History. Today in Sunday School someone said something incorrect about J. Smith but he just sat there. He never says anything because he says there is no purpose in correcting people and he has committed to only saying something if it is edifying. Sheesh the nerve. If you were to watch us in Sunday school, every time someone says something I poke him on the arm and he just shakes his head yes or no. If people were smart they would watch to find out the real deal. He is smaart people, super smart. In fact, if I could brag about one thing in my life aside from my very beautiful children, I would tell you that I married the smartest person ever. Do you know why he is so smart? Because when he doesn't know something he says "I dunno." And when he does, he is always right. Really, its true.

4) Dinner guests. Love, love, love the Magnussons. If you don't know them, you should befriend them.

5) Katie stopped by and wondered what was for dessert. She said she estimated the time we would be eating and then came by to see. We were having strawberry shakes, fresh strawberries blended with vanilla ice cream. Do you know what she said? "Oh well we already have ice cream." Sorry to disappoint Katie, but we were out of butter. For reals.

6) Angela gave me some great advice when I called and asked her about my parenting woes. She suggested that "Backtalk" is defined as "anything that makes you feel deflated" or bad about yourself. I loved the definition and when I presented it to Bridget she said that she could identify when something she said made someone feel bad about themselves. We agreed that she would go in her room, no warning, anytime she said anything like that. So guess what? I was the first violator because when Gillian cried that she didn't like the dinner I said "good for you." Turns out I am a bad model. But I went in my room for time out to set the example anyway even though Gillian kept yelling "come back mommy!" Today on the way home she did the mean person thing "why don't you get out of the car if you don't like the sound of us fighting" so Steve and I both said "oh, in your room when we get home." We got home, she went straight to her room for five minutes, and then she was all cured. So success day one. We are going to keep trying and hope we can put a dent in her 'tude.

7) Decided to leave Meg here and I leave on Wed. morning. Please have lots of positive thoughts/prayers for her and Steve (and me) so we can get through it. I am sad about it and she is really attached to me these days. I am sure she will be fine, right? Right?

Headache coming back... Any advice in any of these areas is as usual, welcome.

10 comments:

  1. I agree. You should record your conversations with landee and sell them for profit.

    And I'd suggest caffeine but I know how you feel about soda. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not store whole wheat, but I'll be darned if I ever let my Costco butter supply fall below 5 pounds.

    Next time, no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Why don't you get out of the car if you don't like the sound of us fighting"I suppose you're doing the right thing with the time-outs, but I gotta say... I kinda like that kids sass. Reminds me of these classic comments:

    "This isn't your problem."

    "I just put it in my mouth really fast and said it was chicken"
    You're definitely not raising any wimps. Keep those kid comments coming... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I agree. Will Steve just teach the class sometime (everytime)? Because I'd rather listen to him talk, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

    I'm also curious, which part was incorrect? I try hard to stay away from "facts" for this very reason, but I don't want to have the class just bother everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Word that sums up your life: whirlwind.
    Word that sums up my life: nap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man, I would not want to teach ANYTHING with Steve in the room. I make up stuff like you make up statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I know a bit about these things by necessity, though pretty much all I know come from Angela's (the woman with the golden nuggets of parental wisdom) husband. Your lesson was great Jerry, I think people will be disappointed if they start testing me on my wife's claims.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Steve. I'm not too worried about my lessons, they are what they are (i.e. you get what you pay for at church). I'm just hopeful we'll get to hear more from someone that studies religious history... not biotechnology.

    And make no mistake, your wife's claims are nice, but they are not the only evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What, I came to visit? Wait a minute. This blog always gets me. I might have to come logged in as Katrina. It sounds fancier, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do the same thing with Mark in church--only we do it with a specially coded series of eyebrow raises--the fruits of 16 years of marriage. I agree w Steve that you gotta be judicious in imparting your wisdom at church. Otherwise everyone will become afraid of you!

    Glad those "golden nuggets" are working out.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios