I grew up in with a petite mamá. She averaged around 115 lbs at 5'4"
After I outweighed her in 9th grade she would regularly make comments like "if you want to be thinner, just lose weight!" Or better yet "I eat to live, you live to eat." I was not allowed to eat sugar under any circumstances and Trick-or-Treating was out of the question. Yes, I know, it seems abusive. We had Grape Nuts cereal or some other cereal that as a kid seemed horrible but as an adult I love. No dessert except on holidays when my mom would make some reasonably tasty apple pie and ice cream. She was constantly saying she was too fat and that made me, who was clearly bigger than her, feel super insecure.
She wasn't super mean she just made me feel like I was a little fatty. Once my oldest was born she called me and said I should be a model for plus size magazines.
Anyway so I have some kind of confidence issues with my body and I do have to work to keep my weight down. I am currently engaged in a reduction of calorie experience which is going well, thank you. You can imagine, however, that the last thing on earth I want to have happen to my daughters is that they too have food issues so I have vowed never to say things like "I am so fat" or "I need to lose some weight." I of course track my calories on Lose It! the best app ever invented, but I try to refer to it as healthy maintenance and not even mention weight.
Enter my children and their love affair with sugar and dessert. They unfortunately inherited this so I am trying early on to build in a sense of healthy and unhealthy but without the psychosis of body image. This morning Bridget was slicing up some bread that was on the counter and she got out the ingredients to make some honey butter. I was opposed to this for two reasons:
1) The total mess that she would inevitably create and
2) The sugar overload
We eat too many desserts as it is and to throw some honey butter on some perfectly healthy bread that already has honey in the recipe was just too much for me. Also I am cranky and tired from transition weekend (the two days immediately following a work trip in which I realize that I can no longer operate independently of others) so it turned into a showdown.
I told her she could choose between the honey butter and the pancakes/syrup that we were planning because it was just too much sugar. It ended with her running into her room shouting "I don't understand why it is so important to be healthy!"
My spouse wisely commented that the implementation of the policy was not ideal nor had we discussed this low sugar policy as a family so I stormed off and took a shower to get over my irritation and get ready for church.
While in the shower I realize that THIS is a food issue. This is precisely what I promised myself I would never do to my daughter. She is 7 years old and very healthy and active. Her clothes are all stained (which resulted of course in later showdown over clothing though I threw most of them away which has resulted in much fewer clothing issues thanks for the advice) from running around and playing hard at school and in the neighborhood. Honey butter isn't super healthy but was it really worth disrupting everyone's morning? I also realize that I am glad that I have a hands-on hubby who isn't going to just sit back and let me dig myself into the holes in which I have promised never to fall or push my kids
So I decide on two things:
a) I am going to decide what exactly is the policy on sugar items
b) I am never going to forbid my kids from eating something without making the policy clear prior (like you can not have dessert without eating your veggies, etc.)
I called Bridget in the room to discuss it and told her that if that comes up again she should say to me "let's not make food an issue, k?" to remind me of my own agreement. She laughed and said "it's okay mama."
So what do other people do out there to keep their kids healthy without overly focusing on the body thing?
As someone who grew up with a father who, at times, would use the word Marshmellow as a word to describe my body, and a mother who is a type 2 diabetic, I too have food issues. I grew up eating lots of treats and having seconds of everything. Genetics aren't in my favor either.
ReplyDeleteSo far my kids are thin as rails and active as can be, so weight has never come up. But I have tried to teach and encourage good eating habits.
Mostly by discussing what each food is good for. Fruits and vegies give us vitamins that keep us healthy. Beans and meat are protein which is good for a muscles. Milk is good for our bones, etc. My kids know that sugar isn't really good for anything in our bodies. At least it is a start in the right direction.
We do have treats but they are rather limited. We just don't keep many in the house and keep our cookie making to every other week or so.
I think you look great! Once this 4th baby comes and I have my body back I really hope I can get back to more normal weight. It is hard to have food issues from our growing up years. If only we could all have the right genetic make up to allow us to eat whatever we want and always stay thin.
Who doesn't have food issues, right? My father got tired of us constantly devouring everything like locusts and decided to put padlocks on ALL food cabinets AND the fridge. Yes, I've got issues. The other problem is that Darin likes to argue that fish is not healthy, that white bread is every bit as nutritious as wheat and all other manner of craziness. All I can say is that I try to talk to my kids about the nutritional benefits of foods, i.e. protein helps grow our muscles, fiber helps us poop, etc. I TRY to give my kids fruits and vegetables and I hope that all of that will not be completely undone by the overly abundant amounts of sugar consumed by all in the Bunker household.
ReplyDeleteYeeeeah. I'm not gonna be a good advice giver on this one. Having all boys that are skin and bones probably doesn't help either.
ReplyDeleteLet me know how it goes tho.
ReplyDeleteisn't it funny (okay, maybe not actually funny) how you either replicate your parents' issues, or try to avoid them and end up swinging into the opposite problem on the other side of the spectrum?
ReplyDeletei've always thought you do a great job encouraging healthy eating without turning it into a nazi issue.
I'm not a good person to ask about being a food nazi because my husband just got mad at me about that. He is picky and doesn't like healthy foods so all my efforts for having healthy meals are pretty much wasted on my family. I have this battle constantly and don't have any idea how to improve that situation.
ReplyDeleteBut you are right on to talk about it in terms of healthy/unhealthy in a way that is not connected to weight. Skinny people can get all kinds of health problems from eating unhealthy foods even if they don't happen to get fat.
A friend of mine just told me that her grandmother used to always say negative things about herself, that she was fat and ugly, that she just wanted to die, etc. Her mom grew up hearing that all the time from her mom, but she also heard when people said all the time, "Oh, you look just like your mom!" so then of course she attributed all those negative things to herself. I don't have as many issues as that grandma but it did make me stop and think what kind of messages I am inadvertantly sending to my kids.
Good luck on your calorie reduction experience. Another cereal that kids hate and I love is Puffins, have you tried them?
You ask great questions, which is probably why you're such a good teacher. This one, I'll have to think about.
ReplyDeleteAll I know is that if you're debating Bridget over honey butter, my kids are in serious trouble.
My parents never made an issue of my weight but my mom always made her weight an issue. I heard her put herself down a lot and I feel like that didn’t help my self image a whole lot. I saw on Oprah or some other daytime talk show, a professional with some letters behind her name, say that one of the best things moms with young girls can do is compliment themselves. Say things like, “doesn’t Mom look pretty?” when you are getting ready in the morning. Or, “I like this shirt I’m wearing. Doesn’t it look nice on me?” Sounds corny but makes sense. Girls see a confident mom and they learn to be confident too.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the healthy eating thing…that’s a tough one. We struggle with that in our house too.
lee, I love reading your blog. I always get a good laugh and love to hear what you are up to. I love how you share everything. You are an amazing mother and person. i just wish i was closer to you, so some of your zing for life could rub off on me. Your kids are darling. Little Megan is growing up fast. i am prego and due in Oct.
ReplyDeleteIt's mostly about example. No pressure. If you eat well and provide lots of healthful choices (which you do) then it will be a part of their eating habits. Having a sugar policy in place sounds like a good idea, too.
ReplyDeleteI think making it a big deal or denying them opportunities to eat sugar only makes them want to eat it more. My friend told of an even more dire sugar-free childhood: they NEVER were allowed sugar or any other junk food, except once a year for one tiny scoop of ice cream. When she went off to college she literally gorged herself on all the things she was never allowed. Had to lose 50 pounds. To sum up: don't make it a big deal.
P.S. I know you want to FEEL healthy, too, but you LOOK really great! Don't let yourself think otherwise.
I'm fortunate in that A) I have three skinny boys (except for #2's cheeks) and B) somehow, all three of my kids LOVE vegetables, and even prefer them to sugary foods. It looks like you have a good grasp on the situation tho. Let us know how your plan works out.
ReplyDelete